A woman is grabbed in the middle of the street, torn into a car and abducted.
Shortly after, she is married to one of the men.
The feature film ALA KACHUU is a project of Filmgerberei and tells the story of a young Kyrgyz woman that abducted and forced to marry a stranger. The film is fictional but based on true fates of young Kyrgyz that our author and director Maria Brendle has investigated during the past three years. The film wants to draw attention to bride kidnapping and contribute to a world where a woman's no does no longer mean any shame.
Read the synopsis
With this film, we want
· to tell the story as a narrative film to take the viewer on a dense emotional journey.
· to take advantage of our resources as filmmakers to inform about this custom despising women and to contribute to worldwide efforts sensitizing people for this relatively unknown topic and strengthening women's rights.
· to inspire young Kyrgyz women to stand up for their own (human) rights.
· to collaborate with organizations (NGOs, schools, universities, women's shelters, etc.) on site and worldwide by making the film available to them for educational events and discussions about the topic.
· to encourage girls and their families (in the whole world) to refuse forced marriages.
· to screen the film at as many international festivals as possible.
«This film should encourage women!
Als ich in Kirgistan bei Hilfsorganisationen und auch im Frauenhaus nachgefragt habe, wie ich die jungen Frauen mit einem Film unterstützen könnte, sagte man mir immer wieder, ich solle eine positive Hauptfigur aufzeigen, die für die jungen Frauen ein Vorbild sein kann.
I am adhering to this request.»
Maria Brendle, author and director